Ângela was the first PhD student that joined my research group. She had a BSc in Biology (UTAD, 2007) and a MSc in Clinical Biology (UTAD, 2009). Her thesis was entitled “Characterization of the molecular interactions between Staphylococcus epidermidis biofilm infections and the host immune system” and was co-supervised by Manuel Vilanova (ICBAS, University of Porto, Portugal) and Gerald Pier (HMS, Boston, USA). She concluded her PhD in Biomedical Engineering on the 16th December 2013.
Ângela’s PhD latest paper…
“Alterations in the Staphylococcus epidermidis biofilm transcriptome following interaction with whole human blood”, reveals significant changes in the bacteria transcriptome after adaptation to human blood.
(Full list of publications at Pubmed)
Ângela has co-authored chapters in the following books:
Ângela has also contributed in the following scientific meetings:
- MicroBiotec 13, 6-8 December 2013, Aveiro, Portugal
- BioMicroWorld2013: V International Conference on Environmental, Industrial and Applied Microbiology, 2-4 October 2013, Madrid, Spain
- Biofilms 5, 10-12 December 2012, Paris, France
- XXXIX Annual Meeting of the Portuguese Society of Immunology, 11-15 November 2013, Coimbra, Portugal
- XXXVIII annual meeting of the Portuguese Society for Immunology, 25-27 November 2012, Porto, Portugal.
- 6th ASM conference on Biofilms, 29 September – 4 October 2012, Miami, USA
- Microbiotec11, 1-3 December 2011, Braga, Portugal
- BioMicroWorld2011 – IV International Conference on Environmental, Industrial and Applied Microbiology, Torremolinhos, Spain, 14-16 September 2011
- FEMS 2011, 26-30 June 2011, Geneva, Switzerland