Cármen had an BSc in Pathological, Cytological and Thanatological Anatomy from CESPU (2011) when she joined the group as a research fellow (2013), where she worked on the project “The role of Gardnerella vaginalis biofilms in Bacterial Vaginosis.” She later became a MSc student in Molecular Genetics (University of Minho) on the theme “Analysis of gene expression variability in Staphylococcus epidermidis biofilms”. She defended her thesis on the 10th July 2014, with a grade of 18 out of 20.
Cármen’s latest paper…
“Assessing and reducing sources of gene expression variability in Staphylococcus epidermidis biofilms”demonstrated that pooling biofilm cultures would significantly decrease gene expression variability. This was assessed by qPCR using multiple clinical isolates, as templates.
(Full list of publications at Pubmed)
Cármen has also contributed in the following scientific meetings:
- 20th International Symposium on Biomedical Science and Technology (BIOMED 2014), 24-27 August 2014, Koycegiz, Turkey
- 8th meeting of the European Society for Infectious Diseases in Obstetrics and Gyneacology, 25-27 October 2013, London, United Kingdom
- in MicroBiotec 13, 6-8 December 2013, Aveiro, Portugal
- BioMicroWorld2013: V International Conference on Environmental, Industrial and Applied Microbiology, 2-4 October 2013, Madrid, Spain
- Eurobiofilms2013: Third European Congress on Microbial Biofilms, 9-12 September 2013, Ghent, Belgium
- Biofilms 5, 10-12 December 2012, Paris, France