Ana joined the group as a research fellow hired in the “Characterization of the molecular interactions between Staphylococcus epidermidis biofilm infections and the host immune system” project. She had a BSc in Biotechnology Engineering, from the Bragança Polytechnic Institute (2007) and a MSc in Molecular Genetics, from Minho University (2010). She enrolled in the Biomedical Sciences PhD program (University of Porto), and was co-supervised by Manuel Vilanova and Carlos Vasconcelos, both from ICBAS. Ana concluded her PhD on the 13th July 2015, with a thesis entitled “The role and the prevalence of icaABDC, aap and bhp genes in the virulence of Staphylococcus epidermidis Portuguese isolates”.
Ana’s latest paper…
“Optimization of an automatic counting system for the quantification of Staphylococcus epidermidis cells in biofilms” reports several methodological approaches used to quantify biofilm by several independent criteria.
(Full list of publications at Pubmed)
Ana has co-authored chapters in the following books:
Ana has also contributed in the following scientific meetings:
- ICAR 2014, , 1-3 October 2014, Madrid, Spain
- MicroBiotec 13, 6-8 December 2013, Aveiro, Portugal
- BioMicroWorld2013: V International Conference on Environmental, Industrial and Applied Microbiology, 2-4 October 2013, Madrid, Spain
- Biofilms 5, 10-12 December 2012, Paris, France
- Eurobiofilms2013: Third European Congress on Microbial Biofilms, 9-12 September 2013, Ghent, Belgium
- 65 annual meeting of the Portuguese Society for Microscopy, 24-25 September 2012, Lisboa, Portugal
- Microbiotec11, 1-3 December 2011, Braga, Portugal
- BioMicroWorld2011 – IV International Conference on Environmental, Industrial and Applied Microbiology, 14-16 September 2011, Torremolinhos, Spain