Joana became a PhD student under my supervision, at ICBAS, Porto University, after a few years in my research group, first as a MSc student and then as a Research fellow. Her current work is related to Bacterial vaginosis biofilms. She is being co-supervised by Kimberly Jefferson (VCU, Richmond. USA).
Joana’s latest paper…
“Comparative transcriptomic analysis of Gardnerella vaginalis biofilms versus planktonic cultures using RNA-seq” shows how this bacteria adapts to the biofilm niche, with more than 800 genes altered, including genes that enhance antibiotic resistance, a phenomena that can explain why Bacterial vaginosis is often a recurrent infection.
(Full list of publications at Pubmed)
Joana has co-authored chapters in the following books:
Joana has also contributed in the following scientific meetings:
- Biofilms7, 26-28 June 2016, Porto, Portugal
- Eurobiofilms 2015, 23-26 June 2015, Brno, Czech Republic
- 8th meeting of the European Society for Infectious Diseases in Obstetrics and Gyneacology, 25-27 October 2013, London, United Kingdon
- BioMicroWorld2013: V International Conference on Environmental, Industrial and Applied Microbiology, 2-4 October 2013,Madrid, Spain
- Eurobiofilms2013: Third European Congress on Microbial Biofilms, 9-12 September 2013, Ghent, Belgium
- Biofilms 5, 10-12 December 2012, Paris, France