Joana became a PhD student under my supervision, at ICBAS, Porto University, after a few years in my research group, first as a MSc student and then as a Research fellow. Her current work is related to Bacterial vaginosis biofilms. She is being co-supervised by Kimberly Jefferson (VCU, Richmond. USA).
Joana’s latest paper…
“Lactobacillus crispatus represses vaginolysin expression by BV associated Gardnerella vaginalis and reduces cell cytotoxicity” demonstrated that L. crispatus, but not other species found in the human vagina, were able to reduce G. vaginalis cytotoxicity by repressing vly transcription.
(Full list of publications at Pubmed)
Joana has co-authored chapters in the following books:
Joana has also contributed in the following scientific meetings:
- Biofilms7, 26-28 June 2016, Porto, Portugal
- Eurobiofilms 2015, 23-26 June 2015, Brno, Czech Republic
- 8th meeting of the European Society for Infectious Diseases in Obstetrics and Gyneacology, 25-27 October 2013, London, United Kingdon
- BioMicroWorld2013: V International Conference on Environmental, Industrial and Applied Microbiology, 2-4 October 2013,Madrid, Spain
- Eurobiofilms2013: Third European Congress on Microbial Biofilms, 9-12 September 2013, Ghent, Belgium
- Biofilms 5, 10-12 December 2012, Paris, France